Monday, December 14, 2020

"AFTERWARD HE CHANGED HIS MIND."


Homily for December 15th, 2020: Matt. 21:28-32.

          Told by his father to work in the family vineyard, the first son refuses. That would have shocked Jesus’ hearers. A father, in their patriarchal society, was a figure of unquestioned authority. Obedience to him was a sacred duty enjoined by the fourth commandment: AHonor your father and your mother.
“But afterwards he changed his mind and went,” Jesus tells us. Aren’t we sometimes like that? Slow to do what we know is our duty – or even refusing altogether? All that is, in the last analysis, of little account, Jesus is telling us. What counts is not what we say, feel, or intend. The only thing that counts is what we do. Negative feelings, resentment of God’s demands or of the demands of others, are not important if, despite such feelings, we are still trying to do what we know is right. Indeed, being generous with God and others when this is difficult, in spite of the sullen resentment within, is of greater value than obeying God’s call in times of spiritual fervor and zeal.
God sees the difficulties with which we must contend. When we stumble and fall, and think we can rise no more because we’ve been down so often before, we need to ask God to do for us what we can no longer do ourselves. When we approach God in that way, we are sure of a hearing; for then we come before him as sinners, seeking God’s mercy.
Let me conclude with the verses of an evangelical hymn. If you have ever watched a Billy Graham revival on television, you have heard it sung softly by the massed choirs as people come forward to give their lives to Jesus Christ. It goes like this:

Just as I am, without one plea, but that thy blood was shed for me
And that thou bid’st me come to thee, O Lamb of God, I come.
Just I am, though tossed about, with many a conflict, many a doubt
Fightings and fears within, without, O Lamb of God, I come.

Just as I am, poor, wretched, blind; sight, riches, healing of the mind,
Yes, all I need, in thee to find, O Lamb of God, I come.
Just as I am: thou wilt receive; wilt welcome, pardon, cleanse, relieve;
Because thy promise I believe; O Lamb of God, I come.

Just as I am, thy love unknown, has broken every barrier down;
Now to be thine, yes, thine alone, O Lamb of God, I come.
Just as I am, of thy great love, the breadth, length, depth, and height to prove,
Here for a season, then above: O Lamb of God, I come.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment