Monday, August 3, 2020

SHARING GOD'S LOVE.


August 4th, 2020: Matthew 15:1-2, 10-14.
“Not what goes into his mouth makes him impure,” Jesus says in today’s gospel, “What comes out of his mouth makes him impure.” This statement would have shocked Jesus’ fellow Jews. Jesus’ disciples told Jesus that it had. “The Pharisees were scandalized when they heard your pronouncement,” they tell him. The Jewish dietary laws said that went into the mouth was important. Anything with blood in it, and all pork, were not kosher (forbidden). Jesus often set aside the law of his people. He healed on the Sabbath, for instance, when the illness was not life-threatening. That violated the Jewish law of rest on the Sabbath.
“What comes out of a person’s mouth,” stands for our behavior in daily life; especially for how we treat others. I am in my 92nd year and, thank God, in excellent health and still active. But I live in an assisted living retirement home. Countless times every day there is a knock on my door. Someone is coming to give me medication, to take my vital signs, or just to see how I’m doing. During my daily morning prayers, I always ask the Lord to help me show gratitude and courtesy to everyone who visits me that day. I thank them for their visit. If the visitor is a woman, I call her “dear.” Each time I do that, it brings me joy. It clearly brings joy to others too. I told a visitor recently: “I thank God every day for the wonderful care I receive here.” Her response: “You make it so easy.”
Your life it completely different from mine. But you can do what I do. Ask the Lord each morning to help you bring joy to everyone you encounter that day. There are so many ways of doing that. Show them courtesy, thank them if they’ve done something for you. Speak words of admiration. Or just smile.
Those are all ways of sharing with others the love which the Lord God has for you. And always remember: you can’t keep God’s love – unless you give it away!   

No comments:

Post a Comment