Sunday, July 20, 2014

"YOU HAVE BEEN TOLD, O MAN, WHAT IS GOOD."

Homily for July 21st, 2014: Micah 6:1-4, 6-8.
          “O my people, what have I done to you, or how have I wearied you? Answer me! For I brought you up from the land of Egypt, from the place of slavery I released you.” There is a deep poignancy about those questions in our first reading. Why do they sound familiar? We hear them in the liturgy for Holy Week and Good Friday. They represent God confronting his people, reminding them of all the love he has lavished on them, and asking why they have not responded.
          A representative of God’s people answers his plaintive questions with some questions of his own, asking what kind of response the Lord is looking for. “With what shall I come before the Lord? … Shall I come before him with burnt offerings? … Will the Lord be pleased with thousands of rams, with myriad streams of oil? Shall I give my first-born for my crime, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?” -- a reference to human sacrifice, practiced by some of Israel’s neighbors.
          Then comes God’s answer. “You have been told, O man, what is good, and what the Lord requires of you: Only to do right and to love goodness, and to walk humbly with your God.”
          How would all that sound today? If God were speaking to us modern Catholics, he would say something line this. ‘Why, my people, have you responded so poorly to all the love I have lavished on you? You think you must earn my forgiveness and love by piling up Masses, rosaries, and prayers to the saints? No! I am your loving, heavenly Father. You have my love and my forgiveness already. Your worship and prayers are your grateful response. But I’m looking for more: doing right in your dealings with others, loving the good in them – goodness which you often fail to see because you are so centered on yourself; and walking humbly with me, aware that without me you can do nothing good.’
          Is that a tall order? You bet it is. But never be discouraged. The Lord who looks for all this from us isn’t interested in how often we stumble and fall. He is interested in one thing only: how often, with his help, we pick ourselves up and continue journeying onward to him.   

No comments:

Post a Comment