Tuesday, January 28, 2014

A HOUSE FOR THE LORD?



Homily for January 29th, 2014: 2 Samuel 7:4-17.
          Yesterday’s first reading told about David bringing the ark, which contained the tablets on which the Ten Commandments were inscribed, to Jerusalem, the capital of the now united kingdoms of Judah and Israel. After the transfer of the ark, David has the idea of constructing a suitable housing for the nation’s most precious possession. He confides his plan to the prophet Nathan. “Here I am, living in a house of cedar,” he says, “while the ark of God dwells in a tent!” Speaking, he assumes, for God (which is what prophets are supposed to do), Nathan approves of David’s plans even before he has heard the details.
          As so often, it turns out that the Lord has other plans. That very night God tells Nathan: “Go, tell my servant David, ‘Thus says the Lord: Should you build me a house for me to dwell in? I have not dwelt in a house from the day on which I led the Israelites out of Egypt to the present, but I have been going about in a tent.’” Nathan is to remind David of all that God has done for him. “It was I who took you from the pasture and from the care of the flock to be commander of my people Israel.” David’s astonishing career has not been the result of his own efforts. It was God’s gift. And now, Nathan is to tell David, “The Lord reveals to you that he will establish a house for you.” This will not have walls and a roof. It will be a dynasty, made of human beings. 
          There is a message there for us. It is this. The initiative always lies with God. Wanting to do things for the Lord is good. But what we want is not always what the Lord wants for us. A man keenly aware of this was Cardinal Mercier of Belgium during the first World War, a great hero to his people because of the support he gave them under harsh occupation by the German army. He is the author of a beautiful prayer, which I pray every day. It goes like this: 
"O Holy Spirit, Beloved of my soul, I adore you. Enlighten me, guide me, strengthen me, console me. Tell me what I should do. Give me your orders. I promise to submit myself to all that you desire of me and to accept all that you permit to happen to me. Let me only know your will."

No comments:

Post a Comment