Monday, October 20, 2014

"BE LIKE SERVANTS WHO AWAIT THEIR MASTER'S RETURN."


Homily for October 21st: Luke 12:35-38.
          Yesterday’s parable of the rich fool was about a man who thought that money and possessions could guarantee security and happiness. Too late he discovers that life is God’s to give, and God’s to take away. In today’s gospel, Jesus reminds us that we are servants, not masters. We remain servants, even when the master is away. When he returns and finds us still his faithful servants, ready to welcome him, we shall experience a reversal of roles: he, the Master, will serve us.
          But when will he return? We cannot know – save that his return, when it comes, will be unexpected. Here is a modern parable about the unexpected: a young woman’s letter to the man she deeply loves. This is what she wrote:
          “Remember the day I borrowed your brand new car and dented it? I thought you'd kill me, but you didn't. And remember the time I flirted with all the guys to make you jealous, and you were? I thought you'd leave me, but you didn't. Remember the time I forgot to tell you the dance was formal and you showed up in jeans? I thought you'd drop me, but you didn't.
          “Yes, there were a lot of things you didn't do. But you put up with me, and you loved me, and you protected me. There were a lot of things I wanted to make up to you when you came back from Afghanistan.
          “But you didn't come back."
          We think there is always tomorrow; but one day our tomorrow will be on the other side. Will that tomorrow be happy? We need to decide now, for tomorrow could be too late.
          One thing alone can guarantee a happy tomorrow: remaining conscious of our servant role by centering our lives on Jesus Christ as ministers of service to our fellow servants: brothers and sisters of Jesus Christ – yes, and ours too.  
         

No comments:

Post a Comment